Thoughts from an active pensioner who is now somewhat past his Biblical "Use-by date"

"Why just be difficult, when with a little more effort you can be bloody impossible?"



Wednesday 20 January 2010

Bans - Day Three

I haven't read my morning newspaper yet as I don't have it delivered and go to collect it myself, mainly for the exercise. But I've managed to find a local council ban on the internet.
Council bans roadside floral tributes to crash victims.
Highways bosses at Bolton Council say the tributes can be a distraction to other motorists and could cause a fatal accident themselves.  HERE
Actually, I think the Daily Mail is a bit OTT here as the Council is only proposing to remove them after 30 days, which doesn't seem too unreasonable to me.

Still with the Daily Mail, a ban from France
Ban women wearing the burka from benefits and public transport, demands French government spokesman
"His comments came the day after the head of president Nicolas Sarkozy's party said Muslim women wearing full-face veils should not be granted French nationality."  HERE

This is obviously of interest here as there are already demands for a ban onthe burka in public  places in England. If the French succeed, I wonder if it will become EU law and thus mandatory here. Still, that's not a good enough reason for our remaining in the EU however attractive the idea!

No comments:

Post a Comment