Thoughts from an active pensioner who is now somewhat past his Biblical "Use-by date"

"Why just be difficult, when with a little more effort you can be bloody impossible?"



Friday 23 April 2010

ST GEORGE'S DAY

I thought that I should commemorate today by flying the flag in my blog as well as in my banner at the top.
Those of you who have looked at the banner will see that St George and the Dragon appeared for many years on our high value coins and stamps, but these days, St George, along with Britannia, seems to have disappeared whilst his flag is being discouraged  on the grounds that it is racist.
I am not racist, nor am I ashamed to fly his flag, which is the flag of my country.


We visited Bulgaria last year, and I was surprised at the number of paintings of St George we came across in churches and similar buildings. I rather liked the one above which I managed to photograph.

However if you prefer a more modern version, you might prefer this modern English stained glass window, which shows the Spitfire, but no dragon!

No comments:

Post a Comment