Thoughts from an active pensioner who is now somewhat past his Biblical "Use-by date"

"Why just be difficult, when with a little more effort you can be bloody impossible?"



Thursday 24 April 2014

Lithium Batteries

My camera has a lithium battery. It looks like this. They are now quite cheap, but apparently they are highly dangerous and liable to burst into flames!
The one in my camera is getting old and I decided to order one over the internet. The cost of the battery was a trivial £3.49 and carriage was significantly more at £5.95!
The reason was that it would have to come by a carrier as the Post Office will not take packages containing such items as Lithium Batteries which are classed as dangerous goods by United Nations 3090 legislation.

Not only are such batteries in cameras, they are in almost every piece of portable consumer electronics from mobile phones to calculators and even in one's watch. I hadn't realised that I was surrounding myself with such dangerous items in my home.

Every day, people are carrying one or more of these items in their pockets or baggage onto aircraft and as far as I know this has not yet been banned. When I travel, I usually have both a video and a stills camera, each with spare batteries, in my hand baggage, and no one has ever questioned whether they are safe.

With the Post Office banning the carriage of such items, how long will it be before we are stopped from taking them on aircraft or other public transport?

1 comment:

  1. In many instances, the selection of the most suitable battery for a particular application can be a very complex calculation that can only be performed by the end user as a number of the factors relating to life cycle cost are outside the control of the battery supplier maintenance.
    Lead acid Batteries in Asia

    ReplyDelete